Status:Closed    Asked:Jul 15, 2015 - 08:56 PM

How do I calculate the income of a married couple using IPUMS-USA ACS data?

I am doing a project calculating economic sufficiency based on total income along 6 axis: married couples that own their own homes with a mortgage, married couples that own their own home without a mortgage, singles that own their own home with a mortgage, singles that own their own home without a mortgage, married couples that rent a one bedroom, singles that rent a one bedroom.

I am using ACS data from the years 2009-2013.

I selected for state (CA), county, and age (over 65). I attached a characteristic to age- head of household and also to INCTOT- head of household and spouse.

I created 6 new variables based on the axes above, including in each one that the head of household has to be 65+.

I want to sort by county, tabulating each new variable and summarizing the income in each case.

In stata I use the command for each variable that involves a single person: by county: tab (variable name), summ (inctot_head).

I do I caclulate the right income in each case for the married couples? Should I use HHINCOME, FTOTINC, or run inctot_head and inctot_spouse separately for each variable and add the totals?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

Staff Answer




Using HHINCOME or FTOTINC will be too inclusive for your purposes. HHINCOME sums the income for all persons in the household, and FTOTINC sums the income for all persons in the family unit. You are correct that you will need to instead sum the head of household income with the spouse income.

Also, keep in mind that it is possible to create a variable within the IPUMS data extract system that contains the income of a respondent's spouse by utilizing the Attach Characteristics option. To do so, you should first select your samples and variables, which must contain INCTOT. Before submitting your extract, you will be given the option to choose "Attach characteristics" on the extract request screen. Check the box for "Spouse" on the INCTOT row. This will add a variable to your data extract request called INCTOT_SP. Now simply submit your extract. You should then add up inctot and inctot_sp for one spouse member.

Hope this helps.


Jul 17, 2015 - 02:22 PM

Report it


if homeowner has home equity loan but no primary/traditional mortgage, is mor...
Why are not all the "not in the labour force" categories filled for the EMPST...
Health Insurance Unit in ACS versus MEPS
Are that many married homosexual men not living together? - American Communit...
Login   |   Register

Recently Active Members

View More »

Share |