Status:Closed    Asked:Sep 09, 2015 - 12:36 PM

How do I determine whether an individual received a Bachelor's degree pre educ99?

Hi, I'm having a difficult time discerning if an individual received a college degree for surveys before the educ99 variable is made in the CPS. Does IPUMS have a method to determine this?

Thank you

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

Staff Answer




The way the CPS measured education changed in 1992. The variable HIGRADE (available for pre-1992 samples) indicates the number of years of college that have been completed, while EDUC99 (available for 1992 on) gives a very clear indication of whether or not the individual received a bachelor's degree.

A third variable, EDUC, merges these two schemes by assigning each degree the number of years it typically takes to complete them: "2 years of college" for associate's degrees; "4 years of college" for bachelor's degrees; and "5+ years of college" for graduate and professional degrees. While EDUC does not add any information about whether or not someone received a bachelor's degree prior to 1992, it does provide the opportunity for researchers to draw parallels between completing 4 years of college and receiving a bachelor's degree. It is then up to the researcher to decide whether this method is suitable for their research needs.

Hope this helps.


Sep 10, 2015 - 08:41 AM

Report it


Does 5+ or 6+ years of college imply bachelor degree for EDUC?
Finding People with PHDs in CPS
Why are not all the "not in the labour force" categories filled for the EMPST...
is there an wealth variable for each individual in the cps?
Login   |   Register

Recently Active Members

View More »

Share |