Status:Closed    Asked:Oct 27, 2016 - 06:02 PM

October supplement question

I am using the October education supplement since I need college enrollment outcomes (e.g .2 year, 4 year, fulltime, parttime). I also need family or household incomes (As FPL). Is there a variable that is already calculated that will give me 300 percent FPL while also avaialbe for the October supplement?

The ASEC sample doesnt have any variables that can give me college enrollment outcomes with the exception of SCHLCOLL which is limited to 16 -24 year olds.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

Staff Answer


Jeff Bloem


This is a good question, and one many users have. In principle linking the same household between CPS samples is possible a unique household ID. Linking the March Basic samples (i.e. the October education supplement) to their corresponding ASEC (i.e. the poverty and income supplement) samples, however, is complicated by the fact that the ASEC includes an oversample of households from adjacent months. The IPUMS-CPS Team is currently working on a variable called "MARBASECID" to facilitate linking the two data sets. The variable is still undergoing testing, but here is a link to a working paper that goes into the details of how this variable was created as well as walks through some of the complicating factors. Additionally, this question and answer walks through an imperfect but useful alternative process that may be of use to you in the meantime.


Oct 28, 2016 - 09:25 AM

Report it


How do I find the data file:Ipumsi_00001.dat for the 1974
Just a note that the release schedule for IPUMS USA and FAQ funding are out o...
Variables from Full Year Consolidated Files currently not included in IPUMS-M...
Wrong HH weight Tanzania 2012 census?
Assign Individuals to PUMAS, append dataset
Regarding: Does CLASSWKR in ASEC before 1988 include incorporated and non-inc...
Login   |   Register

Recently Active Members

View More »

Share |