Status:Closed    Asked:Jul 31, 2017 - 10:53 AM

children living with parent, with different surname

Let's say a child lives with a mom, but does not have the same surname as the mom. And the mom is not the head of household.

Would this child look like they are not living with any of his/her parents?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

Staff Answer


Jeff Bloem


Not necessarily. The RELATE variable identifies the stated inter-household relationship status of individuals within census data. Values for this variable come directly from the response given on the questionnaire form. In fact, even more complicated family interrelationship variables don't rely on surnames to identify family relationships.

I hope this is helpful.


Jul 31, 2017 - 12:13 PM

Report it


How to link a hierarchical extract with a rectangular extract in ATUS X? CASE...
What is the codeframe for RECTYPE? The codebook says it's 1-digit alpha but a...
Relationship between Counties and 2010 PUMAs
Article about 1790-1840 household censuses published yet?
Labor force flows at the MSA level
Are all counties available in ACS PUMS 5-year? I'm working with the file and ...
Login   |   Register

Recently Active Members

View More »

Share |