Status:Closed    Asked:Jul 13, 2015 - 10:49 AM

individual level census manuscript for Garrard County, Kentucky in 1880; how do I access that?.

I would like the complete census record for Garrard County in 1880.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

Staff Answer




IPUMS does not provide the original Census manuscripts, but we do make available the full-count microdata that were transcribed from the 1880 Census manuscripts. You can find this data at IPUMS-USA (without respondent names) and at NAPP (with respondent names). It is possible to identify persons residing in Garrard County, KY using the variables STATEFIP=21 and COUNTY=790.

Keep in mind that IPUMS cannot be used for genealogical purposes. Data for the complete 1880 census are available on, which allows for searches by names and are appropriate for genealogical research.

I hope this helps.


Jul 15, 2015 - 02:40 PM

Report it


NAPP/IPUMS data is best to analyze, but if you want to see the manuscript pages themselves, you can use the digitized microfilm available at the Internet Archive. Garrard County is split over two reels, appearing at the end of 414 and the beginning of 415. Here are the links to the reels:

Good luck!



Jan 15, 2016 - 08:56 AM

Report it


when trying to declare the IPUMS data as panel on stata there are repeated ti...
2010 5-year PUMA definition
Where can I find city populations, by age, San Diego, New Orleans, Atlanta, C...
Hi, it has been over 4 hours for my data extract and I was wondering if there...
When I take several Nov Supplements, the weighted number of voters equals pub...
Are there aggregate categories for OCC/OCCLY in CPS?
Login   |   Register

Recently Active Members

View More »

Share |