Unable to download the IPUMS PMA data in the wide format

Greetings,

I hope everyone is well.

I’ve been having difficulties downloading the PMA data in the wide format. Every time I select that option, once I review my cart I see that it reverted to the long format option. Then when I try correcting this (i.e. selecting the change in the extract request, then wide format) all the items in my cart are removed.

! [image|448x182] (upload://sAkODwLX4QEEVWTx8gq9vVO6cIA.png)

The cycle then repeats itself again, even if I continue to select the longitudinal—wide samples.

I’ve done this based on the countries I want to work with (Cote d’Ivoire, Burkina Faso and Niger) and based on the countries selected in this video—https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM0wPNWDELU

I also reset my browser, cleaned my internet history and reviewed my account access—nothing seems to be working.

I would greatly appreciate any help or insight on how to resolve this.
Thank you and
Have a wonderful week.

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been unable to request a wide formatted data extract. I was able to login to your account and create a wide data extract with the samples and variables that you had selected. You should have received an email that this extract (#7) is ready for download.

As you mention, anytime users edit the requested data format between cross-sectional, longitudinal long, and longitudinal wide, they must re-select samples and variables and add them to their cart. After clicking to revise your extract #6 and changing the data format to longitudinal wide, I re-selected all of your variables. After doing so, I viewed the data cart, and continued to the extract request page. The data structure section noted that the request was for a wide formatted file and I was able to request this file.

Since I wasn’t able to replicate this issue, I’m unsure of exactly what caused it. Users should begin with sample selection where they can specify that they want a wide file. Variables should then be added after the sample selection has been submitted. If you are using multiple tabs or browser windows for sample selection and variable selection separately, the new tab might not remember the sample selection or might interfere with selection.

1 Like

I was just informed that there was indeed a technical issue with the IPUMS PMA website that prevented users from creating wide data extracts. This issue has now been resolved. My apologies for the inconvenience that this caused.

1 Like

Thank you @Ivan_Strahof for your response, help and follow up. It is greatly appreciated.

Have a great weekend,
Khandys.