Why some individuals not in the labor force still have indnaics code

Hello,

I notice some individuals in the data have the “labor status” as “not in the labor force”, but they still have observation in “indnaics” code. How can I deal with these data? Thank you for the reply!

Our apologies for the long wait in responding to your forum post. Your post was erroneously flagged as spam by the platform that hosts our forum and our team is just seeing it.

The universe of INDNAICS is persons age 16+ who had worked within the previous five years. So, persons who are not in the labor force at the time of the survey but who worked within the previous five years still have a response for INDNAICS. For unemployed persons or those out of the labor force, the data refer to their most recent job, if it was within the previous five years.

Thank you very much for the reply! So the INDNAICS code is lagging behind in some sense? Is there any possible way or indicator if I want to do a research on the immediate annual labor demand change of a specific industry caused by a policy?

INDNAICS is not a lagged variable. For respondents currently employed, it reports their current industry. For respondents employed in the last 5 years, it reports the industry of their last job. You can use the employment status variable EMPSTAT to restrict your analysis and look only at the industries of people currently working. You could determine the industrial composition of the current working population that way.

ohh! I understand now, thank you!